Subject: Re: Need Sendmail Assistance
From: Stan Ryckman <stanr @ sunspot . tiac . net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 20:17:24 -0400
To: listmom-talk @ skyweyr . com, List-Managers @ greatcircle . com

At 04:10 PM 5/5/97 -0400, Vince Sabio wrote:
>** Sometime around 11:31 -0400 5/3/97, Keith Moore said:
>
>>> I have some poor sysadmin in India who has sendmail set up to bounce
>>> messages back to the "From:" address -- not the "Sender" or "Errors-To"
>>> address, if one is present.
>>
>>Bouncing to either the Sender or the Errors-To address is also wrong.
>>Mail bounces go to the envelope return-path, period.
>
>As I understand it:
>
>1. Return-path is not always provided (e.g., LISTSERV and ListProc use
>Sender).

Actually, if present, it's provided locally at delivery.  From RFC822:

     4.3.1.  RETURN-PATH

        This field  is  added  by  the  final  transport  system  that
        delivers  the message to its recipient.  The field is intended
        to contain definitive information about the address and  route
        back to the message's originator.

        Note:  The "Reply-To" field is added  by  the  originator  and
               serves  to  direct  replies,  whereas the "Return-Path"
               field is used to identify a path back to  the  origina-
               tor.

        While the syntax  indicates  that  a  route  specification  is
        optional,  every attempt should be made to provide that infor-
        mation in this field.

Thus it has nothing to do with what various MLMs use to identify themselves
in RFC822 headers.

Note, however, the key word "envelope" that Keith used.  This is discussed
in RFC1123; check out 5.3.3 and 5.3.6 there, in particular.  Also, I find it
surprising that 5.3.7(E) is a SHOULD rather than a MUST (this talks about
gateways, though).

Cheers,
Stan

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Reviewers needed for MIIS book chapters