From: "Nathan J. Mehl" <nmehl @ leftbank . com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 10:01:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: whitread @ ozemail . com . au
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In the immortal words of Graeme Read & Grant Whittingham:

> More disturbingly he made a couple of very clear
> threats - that I had met my "Waterloo" in him and that he would do
> everything he could to oppose me, the list and have it shut down.
> You people have had much more experience in dealing with this kind of
> thing than me.   What should I do about the situation?  Should I be
> worried?  Should I take any action?

By and large, my advice would be to ignore it.  People who actually
have the technical skills to follow up on threats of this nature
are an extremely tiny subset of the ones that actually make the
threats.  More than likely, you're deal with yet another of the
emotionally stunted sociopath crew that make administering any public
resource on the net such a royal pain in the ass occasionially.

If he's making legal threats, say "I'm sorry, but if you're threatening
a lawsuit, I can no longer speak with you.  Please direct any further
communication to my lawer at this address..."  If he's threatening
technical disruption of the list, save a few of the messages and
go to his sysadmin and/or the police.

If he's just venting personal abuse, set up a filter to bounce
his email.

Best of luck,

-n

--
Don't blame me -- I voted for the Unabomber!
Nathan J. Mehl -- The Left Bank Operation