From: "Paul L. Moses" <theseus @ dgs . dgsys . com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 12:06:44 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

+From: "Nathan J. Mehl" <nmehl @
 leftbank .
 com>
+Subject: Re: Threats from an unsubscribed list member
+
+In the immortal words of Graeme Read & Grant Whittingham:
+
+> More disturbingly he made a couple of very clear
+> threats - that I had met my "Waterloo" in him and that he would do
+> everything he could to oppose me, the list and have it shut down.
+> You people have had much more experience in dealing with this kind of
+> thing than me.   What should I do about the situation?  Should I be
+> worried?  Should I take any action?
+
+More than likely, you're deal with yet another of the
+emotionally stunted sociopath crew that make administering any public
+resource on the net such a royal pain in the ass occasionially.

Let me second that thought.  There are certain individuals out there who
have "bad boundaries" and fail to understand that anything they can affect
does not *belong* to them.  I recall one individual in particular on my
list who sent me detailed advice on how and whether or not to edit his
post, and similar advice on how to handle a certain issue.  When I said,
Thanks but no thanks, please butt out, and deleted his letter, I got the
old "You're a power-mad such and such, freedom of speech is being
suppressed, blah blah blah...."

This same individual also compiled an index to resources in my archives
WITHOUT asking and again had to be told that he needed permission to do
that.  Again he trotted out freedom of speech, etc.  If he had been a
little more cooperative it would not have been a problem, but he was really
obnoxious and insistent, so his attitude killed the index, basically.  Of
course I had to go "public" to another list with this before he would admit
that he did NOT have authority to do the index without my permission.

It was a big hassle and wasted a lot of my time that could have gone into
making my list or website a better resource for everyone else.  Worse, it
makes you more apathetic and less enthusiastic about running your resource
in the longer term.

Paul
---------

Cognition is an emotion.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: rejected mail - RFC822 conflict ???