From: Marko Hotti <mhotti @ lists . oulu . fi>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 18:35:33 +0300 (EET DST)
To: Graeme Read & Grant Whittingham <whitread @ ozemail . com . au>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Graeme Read & Grant Whittingham wrote:

> After a warning to him that was ignored and two months worth of
> sarcastic comments about me posted to the list, not to mention a number
> of complaints from normally quiet subscribers, I have been forced,
> reluctantly, to unsubscribe him.  The first person I've unsubscribed for
> such a reason. I wrote a letter to my list explaining why I had done it
> and, to my surprise, I have received about 12 replies thanking me and
> telling me not to worry about it.

My personal policy in cases like this is to send a warning to the person along
with the mailing list netiquette. Do you have a netiquette or some kind of
rules of posting in your mailing lists? I have found it necessary to have some
kind of regulations and basic rules - even though we respect the freedom of
speach. In any cases - I will NEVER wait for TWO MONTHS. If the person keeps
behaving badly and does not have respect for you as the list administrator,
then he will have to find another list to mess around.

> is something definitely wrong with him.  It was a tirade of personal
> abuse accusing me of being a dictator amongst other things I'd rather
> not go into here. More disturbingly he made a couple of very clear
> threats - that I had met my "Waterloo" in him and that he would do
> everything he could to oppose me, the list and have it shut down.

Don't get intimidated by this person. Internet is full of all kinds of freaks
and weird people - most of them are usually just being childish and you should
get yourself above him.

> thing than me.   What should I do about the situation?  Should I be
> worried?  Should I take any action?

Maybe a letter to his Internet Service Provider could be a good idea. If this
guy is breaking the ISP policy, they could perhaps close his account - provided
that you have good evidence against him.

> I admit that it has shaken me up somewhat.  Your advice would be
> appreciated.

I have been administrating 'lists.oulu.fi' for four years now and we are
running about 200 mailing lists with both Finnish and international
subscribers. I don't have the time to argue with the people if they don't know
how to behave themselves. Just set strict rules on your lists and make sure
every new subscriber receives some kind of netiquette. If they break it, you
are entitled to do whatever you feel fit.

/Marko

Marko Hotti <mhotti @
 lists .
 oulu .
 fi>
System Administrator / Medical Student / Vocalist & Pianist
University of Oulu Computer Services Center
--
Phones: +358 40 552 8415 (mobile) +358 8 530 4268 (home) +358 8 312 7172 (otho)
SnailMail: Tervontie 4 C 11, FIN-90230  OULU, Finland