From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 21:18:50 -0400 (EDT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Paul L. Moses wrote:

> ... When I said, Thanks but no thanks, please butt out, and deleted his
> letter, I got the old "You're a power-mad such and such, freedom of
> speech is being suppressed, blah blah blah...."

I agree that a listowner has essentially unlimited power with regard to
what traffic is acceptable on their list.  You provide the resources.  You
decide how those resources will be used.  Freedom of speech has never
included unrestricted access to any forum you choose.

> This same individual also compiled an index to resources in my archives
> WITHOUT asking and again had to be told that he needed permission to do
> that...

I don't understand the conflict here.  Would you please add some details?
I don't see how someone compiling an "unauthorized" index of your archives
could be a problem.

- murr -