From: "Paul L. Moses" <theseus @ dgs . dgsys . com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 12:07:56 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

+From: murr rhame <murr @
 vnet .
 net>
+
+On Fri, 9 May 1997, Paul L. Moses wrote:

+> This same individual also compiled an index to resources in my archives
+> WITHOUT asking and again had to be told that he needed permission to do
+> that...
+
+I don't understand the conflict here.  Would you please add some details?
+I don't see how someone compiling an "unauthorized" index of your archives
+could be a problem.
+

To begin with, an unauthorized person making a "derivative work" (such as
an index) based on the copyrighted works of others is copyright
infringement.

Secondly, in this particular case, the person was indexing all the
"pro"-posts on a controversial subject.  This subject had been debated
extensively and a small, vocal, extreme minority had shouted down more
educated and informed (and cautious) viewpoints.  Finally I stepped in and
asserted some basic facts and made the subject off-topic.  I was concerned
that people would follow this index and reach a one-sided conclusion that
could be harmful.

Lastly, I found it annoying and rude that someone else would rifle through
my archives and announce to the world a fait accompli without ever asking
me.  I keep my archives open as a courtesy and service to anyone who is
interested, and I expect a certain level of courtesy in return.

Paul

the Training-Nutrition mailing list
 http://www2.dgsys.com/~trnutr/index.html
"Breaking news from the top of the food chain."

Indexed By Date Previous: comments on ml help file requested