Subject: Re: The "Duh!" Awards
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 22:35:25 -0400 (EDT)
To: Vince Sabio <wavelet @ colossus . arl . mil>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Vince Sabio wrote:

> ... Moreover, if you read the instructions REEEEALLY carefully, you also
> note that you are not supposed to include your name in an unsubscribe
> request -- though the server *usually* won't care if you do. So, the
> command should look like this:
>
> unsubscribe humornet

You may want to consider adding the following line to your Listproc 6.0c
config file:

option relaxed_syntax # Ignore extra arguments in user commands.

This is noted in the "server" docs as follows:

            relaxed_syntax: by default, the system complains when
            a request is given more arguments than expected. This
            turns such checking off.

This will ignore any extra junk on commands sent to listproc.  With the
relaxed option turned on, adding a real name to an unsubscribe command
will not make it bomb... I wish there were an option to ignore command
words in the subject line of mail send to listproc as well.  Apparently,
listproc uses the same subject line filters for posts to mailing lists and
for commands sent to listproc.

The relaxed option will not help them spell the list name correctly. ;-)

- murr -