Subject: Re: The "Duh!" Awards
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 12:08:51 -0700
To: Ray Jones <rayjones @ praline . no . neosoft . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 10:04 PM -0700 5/9/97, Ray Jones wrote:

>the list telling me how crummy the list was and how nothing worked right.
>As you said, it worked fine for everyone else.

My general response: "Well, my server has about a 98% success rate by
my users, and I've found that the other 2% are usually people who
didn't read or aren't following the instructions. I'm always interested
in hearing where my instructions can be improved, so if you'll tell me
what isn't working for you, I'll see if I can fix it"

The only responses I get to that are rude... They've told me where to
put the instructions, but never what to fix... (you can guess why...)

This is actually a subset of a larger issue. For people who send mail
to various places (postmaster, etc), there's boilerplate that gets sent
pointing them in the right directions. Ditto people who post admin
requests to the list (I *never* perform these. They always get pointed
towards the proper answer. I don't believe in reinforcing wrong
behaviors, because people then think those behaviors are correct --
they worked, no?).

well over 99% of the folks who get that boilerplate act on it and life
is wonderful for all. About 1 in 100 write and thank me for the
instructions. About 1 in 300, roughly, write back to scream and bitch.
The most common word is rude, but arrogant and various filthies are up
there.

Go figure. Me, I figure if I'm only getting yelled at by 1 in 300, I'm
doing pretty damn good...

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq @
 apple .