Subject: RFI - Re: Any creative TCP/IP solutions to stop junk E-Mail?
From: "Henry W. Miller" <henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 14:47:58 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcirlce . com
Cc: henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov

> From:	MX%"MX-List @
 MadGoat .
 com" 13-MAY-1997 14:41:37.64
> Subj:	Re: Any creative TCP/IP solutions to stop junk E-Mail?

	Does anyone have any information on the enclosed post - i.e., is
it "too good to be true", is it on the level, etc?

-HWM

> <In article <5l02j2$3po @
 top .
 mitre .
 org>, lewis @
 jag .
 mitre .
 org (Keith A. Lewis)
> <writes:
> >"Randy N. Baker" <RBAKER @
 gc1 .
 georcoll .
 on .
 ca> writes in article <970507084415 .
 d98 @
 gc1 .
 georcoll .
 on .
 ca> dated Wed, 7 May 1997 8:44:15 -0400:
> >>I am getting tired of finding unsolicited junk E-Mail, and I don't think
> >>sending E-Mail back to the originating sender does, or will do any good.
>
> >I'd settle for a system-level filter that would drop or bounce messages from
> >specific domains.  I run UCX SMTP and MX over UCX.  Can anybody point me to
> >a solution?
>
> I receive the following message in March. I did not respond to it because
> it is basically another spam, therefore I am not in any way endorsing it.
> But if it's for real it might be a good thing. The web page is there; they
> have a phone number and the nameserver has a listing for netchem.com. That's
> a lot more real than your typical spam. I'm just not sure I want my name on
> another list.
>
> Has anyone else seen this or heard of anyone responding to this?
>
> Thanks,
> Irv Eisen, Systems Manager
> Cancer Center Information Systems  Email: IRV @
 CCSTAT .
 MC .
 DUKE .
 EDU
> Duke University Medical Center
> DUMC Box 3958                      Voice: (919) 681-5405
> Durham, NC 27710                   Fax  : (919) 681-8028

> From:	MX%"remove @
 netchem .
 com" 22-MAR-1997 11:05:34.80
> To:	IRV
> CC:
> Subj:	Please Help Yourself, Help Others & Help the Internet
>
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> Your email address is on many spammers' lists.
> That is why you received so much junk email lately.
>
> Most of the spammers will stop sending you junk email
> if you ask them to remove your email address from their lists.
>
> But the problem is that there are too many spammers.
> The spammers are not supposed to send you junk email in the first place.
> Why do you even have to spend your time to reply?
>
> We are compiling a REMOVE list.  It is much faster for the spammers
> to remove your email address if we send them the list because most
> of the spammers use automated software.
>
> To add your name to the REMOVE list, simply reply to this email.
> You do not have to write anything. It is FREE!
>
> We are also compiling a blacklist of spammers. If you receive junk email
> from someone, please forward the original message to list @
 netchem .
 com .

> Please do not use spammers to advertise your product on the Internet.
> It is not easy to send out 1 million email. The spammer will take your
> money and disappear.
>
> To avoid further spamming, we send out this message only to limited number
> of users. Please forward this email to your friends if you think it is
> useful to them.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jerry

> Jerry Wang, PhD, Chemechanics, Inc.
> http://www.netchem.com, mailto:jerryw @
 netchem .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: announcement list on listproc vs. majordomo