Subject: check_mail ruleset for sendmail.cf
From: rlcarr @ MIT . EDU
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 15:26:39 GMT
To: list-managers-digest @ GreatCircle . COM

What exactly is a "domain that can't be resolved"?  I'm starting to get
worried that some anti-spam measure are going to cause email from UUCP
hosts (like my home machine) to be rejected as spam because its return
address is not a machine that's on the net.

In my particular case, the hostname of my home machine is (say) homemachine.
The domain name of my UUCP provider (which IS on the net) is (say) isp.net.
Mail to users on my home machine is addressed to user @
 homemachine .
 isp .
 net,
and email from said users has a return address of the same thing.

So, under anti-spam measures like the check_mail ruleset, will mail
from my home machine be bounced because "homemachine.isp.net" cannot
be resolved (if you try to ping it you'll get "unknown host"), or will
it be accepted because "isp.net" is a valid domain, or will it be accepted
because my UUCP feed provides an MX record for homemachine.isp.net ?

== Rich

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Auto-Bounce Handling