Subject: Netscape mail and headers
From: Cyndi Norman <cnorman @ best . com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 11:25:35 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: cnorman @ shellx . best . com

I've just recieved my second complaint from a potential subscriber that the
Netscape mailer will not allow them to edit the subject header.  My list
software requires authentication of subscriptions by sending back a long
subject header after changing the final word from REJECT to ACCEPT.

The first person managed to get it to work but I don't know if he figured
it out or if he followed my last-resort advice to cut and paste the header
into a new message.  The second person is still working on it.

Now I don't believe this "I can't edit the subject header" story for a
minute.  Netscape mailers may suck but they aren't *that* idiotic.  I've
only used Netscape mail for outgoing messages via web links.

Can someone let me know if there is an easy fix for this?  Like a
preference setting or other menu setting that toggles header
accessability.  I'd go play in Netscape myself but the stupid thing crashes
my computer every time I open it.

Also (and partly to justify my posting this here instead of spending half
an hour tracking down the "right" group :-)), what other mailers have
similar problems?  I've had complaints before from AOL users saying the
header was too long or some such (despite most AOL'ers having no trouble
with it).  And I won't even get into MS mailer people and their mime
mode/attachments as that is the rant for another post :).  Btw, I have zero
control over the authenitication message/structure except that I can turn
it off entirely (which I won't do).

Thanks,
Cyndi

"There's nothing wrong with me.  Maybe there's                     Cyndi Norman
something wrong with the universe." (ST:TNG)                   cnorman @
 best .
 com

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: New List Admn Probs: 2 questions