Subject: Should I Moderate List to Avert Flaming (Suggestions and Hints Requested)
From: Rick Umali <rgu @ world . std . com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:12:52 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Hello:

I read the thread "Threats from an unsubscribed list
member" with great interest.

I run a Tiger Woods mailing list. It is starting to devolve
into individuals calling for certain members of the list to
be "kicked off".

One member is claiming that bad email sent to him by a list
member means that that member should be kicked off, but I
don't see any postings to the list from this person.

Anyway, I've tried to ignore such proceedings, but lately
the members have been calling for me to act. One tactic I
wanted to try was moderating the list (approving each post
before sending it to the other list members).

Q: Is switching the list from unmoderated to moderated a
good tactic to "calm the waters"?

Q: Has anyone gone from unmoderated, to moderated? Has
anyone gone from moderated to unmoderated?

In the meantime, I'll take up the suggestion to post up a
list of "netiquette".

Rick (rgu @
 world .
 std .
 com) Umali     Arlington, Massachusetts
     "I got the black cat bone and I got a mojo, too."
	   http://world.std.com/~rgu/tigerwoods/

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: List Tracking Software?