Subject: Re: Should I Moderate List to Avert Flaming (Suggestions and Hints Requested)
From: edmonds @ cs . ubc . ca (Brian Edmonds)
Date: 24 May 1997 06:18:40 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM
>received: from mornir.gweep.bc.ca by edmonds.home.cs.ubc.ca (Sendmail 8.7.5) with ESMTP id GAA16963; Sat, 24 May 1997 06:18:51 -0700

Rick Umali <rgu @
 world .
 std .
 com> writes:
> Q: Is switching the list from unmoderated to moderated a good tactic
> to "calm the waters"?

I find it works well on one of the lists I run that descends into flame
wars from time to time.  After a week or two people forget about
whatever they were so concerned with, and I switch back to unmod.  I
announced it the first time or two, but these days I just do it quietly
if I feel it's necessary.  The list members now know well that if they
stay reasonably on topic there's no problem, but off-topic material may
just vanish in the ether if they've crossed my idiot threshold.

> In the meantime, I'll take up the suggestion to post up a list of
> "netiquette".

Feel free to include pointers to mine:
 <URL:http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html>

Brian.

Indexed By Date Previous: RE: Should I Moderate List to Avert Flaming (Suggestions and Hints Requested)