Subject: Re: Should I Moderate List to Avert Flaming
From: "Bob Bish" <bish @ azstarnet . com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 09:21:21 +0000
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <bish @ pop . azstarnet . com>

> I run a Tiger Woods mailing list.
[snip]
> One member is claiming that bad email sent to him by a list
> member means that that member should be kicked off, but I
> don't see any postings to the list from this person.

   If a member had something bad to say to another member, he/she did
the right thing by doing so privately and not on the list.

> Q: Is switching the list from unmoderated to moderated a
> good tactic to "calm the waters"?

   Maybe, but you'd end up doing a lot of work.  With Tiger Woods as
the subject, a very popular fellow who is currently in the global
spotlight, you may soon end up with a huge list.  Once you have a few
hundred members, moderating could prove impractical.
   Also, since Tiger Woods is a role model for youngsters, you're
bound to end up with some young, immature people on your list.  You
should expect some rather immature postings from time to time.
   I run the Hummer Mailing List with over 500 members.  The mature
Hummer owners on the list often complain about the younger people who
join and post things like "Will someone please give me a Hummer for
free?" (a $50,000+ vehicle).  They sometimes ask if I can screen out
such people, but we have to take the bad with the good.

...Bob
http://www.humvee.com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Should I Moderate List to Avert Flaming (Suggestions and Hints Requested)