Subject: Re: Returned Message -- Re: Supporting church planters
From: Stan Ryckman <stanr @ sunspot . tiac . net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 13:08:37 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 10:23 AM 5/27/97 +0200, Norbert Bollow wrote:
>To compuserve postmaster:
>
>Sending DSNs to mailing list contributors (i.e. the address in the From:
>header field, instead of the  envelope From address address) is a violation
>of RFC822 and a very bad practice. Please fix this ASAP.
>
>To list-managers:
>
>What do people think about a joint boykott to disallow mailing list
>subscriptions from hosts which are known to send DSNs not to the envelope
>>From address but to some other address? (Is there a blacklist of such hosts
>already?)

I got one such bounce this morning as well, except with "Reply-To: listname"
it was mailed back to the list.  LISTSERV intercepted it and sent it to me.
It was a "full mailbox" bounce.

Another one just arrived for the same subscriber; it, however, was sent to the
*correct* address (the SMTP MAIL FROM), so whatever the problem was,
Compuserve seems to have fixed it.

I'd advise not getting so excited about "boycotts" (note spelling) unless
a site consistently refuses to fix problems.  The major players (including
Compuserve) try to follow the rules, I'm sure, but accidents will happen.

BTW, the RFC you should cite is RFC1123, not RFC822.  And, unfortunately
(and I can't understand why), the bouncing to the envelope-From address
is a SHOULD rather than a MUST in this RFC.  Be aware of this before taking
too much of a self-righteous stand when criticizing.

Cheers,
Stan

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Returned Message -- Re: Supporting church planters