Subject: RE: foundmoney.com
From: Vince Sabio <vince @ humournet . com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 19:00:36 -0400
To: acobley @ mic . dundee . ac . uk
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov

** Sometime around 12:44 -0400 6/24/97, Chuq Von Rospach sent everyone:

>>are these a
>>> known spamming organisation ?  the address I have seen
>>> are :
::snip::

>>	I don't recognize them as a know source of SPAM, but one never
>>knows.  Why don't you try contacting them and asking what is up?
>
>That's not a spamming group, that's a group being spammed. They're
>being attacked by a subscription attack. I'd suggest dropping all of
>the addresses and locking out the domain.

I posted Andy's question to the SPAM-L list; the response that I received
(and expected) is that it's probably someone attempting a DOS attack against
foundmoney.com as revenge for spamming. As he pointed out -- and as I have
also noticed on my lists -- a lot of the DOS attacks we've been seeing are
against known spammer addresses (many of which are Scamford Wallace's,
though this one isn't).

Nevertheless, Chuq's suggestion is right on target -- even when they are
spammer addresses, I still add them into ListProc's .ignored file (or the
list filter on the LISTSERV list), inasmuch as it might be tempting to just
set them to NOPOST and leave them there until they start bouncing. ;-)

Vince Sabio               HumourNet: <http://www.humournet.com/HumourNet/>
vince @
 humournet .
 com       Stop internet spam/UCE!  <http://www.cauce.org/>