Subject: Web Page Signups
From: bbrown @ dkmc . org (Bob Brown)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 97 14:20:47 EDT
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com

"Mark E. Taylor" <themet @
 mindspring .
 com> wrote:
 [snip]
>The numbers of fake subscribe attempts has risen dramatically and is
>causing me to rethink the wisdom of web page signups.

Truly!  What I've done to keep the convenience of a web page signup,
but cut through a lot of the junk, is to have the signup CGI script
sent the subscriber e-mail with a From: line for my MLM (in my case,
Majordomo, but his will work for others), a properly-formatted
"subscribe" in the body, a -- .sig introducer, and some explanatory
text.

The text says, "to subscribe to list blah-blah-blah, just reply to
this message and include the message in your reply.  Remove any
quoting characters.  If you weren't trying to subscribe to
blah-blah-blah, please delete this message without replying.  If you
need to correspond with a human, please send a message to owner-
blah-blah-blah @
  .
  .
  .
 "

This has worked very well.  So far, no one has reported being unable
to subscribe, and there are *no* phoney subscriptions.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Mailing lists on Windows 95