Subject: Re: Funny AOL Address
From: Chip Rosenthal <chip @ unicom . com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 00:28:10 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Chuq Von Rospach writes:
> >The numbers of fake subscribe attempts has risen dramatically and is
> >causing me to rethink the wisdom of web page signups.
>
> Yup. I've decided to go back to a mailto

Why are you even doing that?

If the potential subscriber has difficulty following simple instructions
on how to join the list, don't you think they might have a few problems
when they want to get off?

I think that if you have subscribers do anything other than mail
a -request address, ultimately you do yourself and the net-as-a-whole
an overall disservice.

(Exception granted for single-address automated list servers that
do reasonable things when mail is sent to the -request address.)

--
Chip Rosenthal * <chip @
 unicom .