Subject: RE: foundmoney.com
From: Vince Sabio <vince @ humournet . com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 15:48:57 -0400
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

** Sometime around 01:38 -0400 7/2/97, Chuq Von Rospach sent everyone:

>At 4:00 PM -0700 6/24/97, Vince Sabio wrote:
>>Nevertheless, Chuq's suggestion is right on target -- even when they are
>>spammer addresses, I still add them into ListProc's .ignored file (or the
>>list filter on the LISTSERV list), inasmuch as it might be tempting to just
>>set them to NOPOST and leave them there until they start bouncing. ;-)
>
>This, of course, might only encourage them to add you and/or your site
>and/or your lists to their spam systems... Me, I just want them away
>from me. They're set up to ignore mail, and I don't want to give them
>possible access to my subscriber list addresses. If you leave them on
>the list, they can simply start scanning for the addresses of the folks
>posting to your lists...

Yes, this is the *primary* reason that I remove them, especially from the
discussion lists. The list that the DOS attacks usually hit, however, is
moderated-edit -- so there's not much opportunity for gathering any
addresses other than my own. And spamming me is a *very* bad idea, unless
your entire ISP chain approves of the practice. (Not much I can do about
AGIS-originated spam. *sigh* Here's to hoping that CAUCE is successful.)

P.S.--My original post apparently took a nice 1-week vacation at the
honor.greatcircle.com mail server. Odd.

Vince Sabio               HumourNet: <http://www.humournet.com/HumourNet/>
vince @
 humournet .