Subject: Re: Web Page Signups
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 03 Jul 1997 19:51:24 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 unicom .
 com> writes:

CR> What facilities have you provided for these people, who never bothered
CR> to learn how to interact with Majordomo, to remove themselves from your
CR> list?

A tough problem.  The list-headers folks are doing something about the
general case, though, by having a header with enough information to enable
an MUA to provide an unsubscription button.

I'm experimenting with including a URL given in the introductory info that
the user can visit at any time (and a string which they can mail) to remove
themselves without typing and without having to remember what address they
subscribed themselves as.  Unfortunately this requires them to save the
introductory info, which they lose all too often.

I'm not certain that there is a complete solution given changing email
addresses and various forwarders.  The user will always need to know the
address they subscribed as or some unique identifying data.  And I'm not
convinced of the applicability of conformation tokens sent via mail for
unsubscription, though I believe that they are pretty much necessary for
subscription.
--
  Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs @
 uh .