From: "Amy Stinson" <amys @ amys-answers . com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 17:38:43 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <amys @ amys-answers . com>

Hi Folks,

I am in the process of moving my lists over to my own server and am
running into some snafu's.  I'm running SLMAIL, which is okay.  Okay,
it was easy.  I had it up and running in 15 minutes.  I didn't have
that good of luck with other products and didn't want to pay for a
commercial license to run 1 rather large list.

These are the problems I'm experiencing.  Prodigy's mailer puts  a
little blurb at the top of their emails, which triggers an "unknown
command -" error message whenever a user tries to send a command.  Is
this a feature that the EMC user can turn off?  Obviously, I can't
set the software to start reading commands further down.

I used myself as an example of how to send messages to the listserver
and put:  This is an example of how to send a command
SUBSCRIBE TEST AMY STINSON

and had no fewer than 50 people sign up to the TEST list with the
name Amy Stinson.  How do I get them to stop that?

Like Chuq, I will no longer be offering Web sign up.  I averaged
about 10 bad addresses every week, mostly from AOL people who put
only their screen name to compuserve people who used commas in their
addresses.  Those comma addresses are really hard to remove from a
smart list list.  You have to put them in quotes.

I thought that moving them from individual request addresses to one
generic address would simplify things.  Not on your life.  They can't
spell listserv, listserve, listserver, majordomo, or listproc.  They
can't spell subscribe.  They can't see spaces in between words. Yes,
I had one send this command
subscribetestyourname  and couldn't figure out why it didn't go
through.

I guess what I really want to know is if someone has written a help
file for dummies that I can shamelessly borrow and adapt to my  own
listserver?  I've really tried to dumb mine down, but I obviously
have missed something.

thanks,
amy

Indexed By Date Previous: RE: foundmoney.com