Subject: MIME digest formats
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 14 Jul 1997 12:19:34 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I'm working on MIME digests for Majordomo and I've come to a question which
needs more discussion than it can get on majordomo-workers.

My problem involves what to do with additional information like the digest
index and footer information.  RFC2046 is rather explicit about it; you
give the message type multipart/mixed with three parts: a text/plain with
the index, a multipart/digest with the actual digested messages, and a
text/plain with the footer matter.  This seems to be just asking for
improper handling by the usual crappy mailers that exist in the world.

So what's the solution?  Make two fake message/rfc822 parts for the index
and footer and add them into the multipart/digest?  Do what 2046 says and
tell people whose mailers blow up to just switch back to RFC1153 digests?

What to other MLMs do?  I've already received a complaint that Listserv
does what RFC2046 says and that people hate it.

 - J<

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Questions about mailing lists