Subject: Re: MIME digest formats
From: Anastasios Kotsikonas <tasos @ cs . bu . edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:06:27 -0400 (EDT)
To: tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu (Jason L Tibbitts III)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> I'm working on MIME digests for Majordomo and I've come to a question which
> needs more discussion than it can get on majordomo-workers.
>
> My problem involves what to do with additional information like the digest
> index and footer information.  RFC2046 is rather explicit about it; you
> give the message type multipart/mixed with three parts: a text/plain with
> the index, a multipart/digest with the actual digested messages, and a
> text/plain with the footer matter.  This seems to be just asking for
> improper handling by the usual crappy mailers that exist in the world.
>
> So what's the solution?

the solution is to provide both RFC1153 and 2046 digests and have different
user options. There are fine MUAs out there that handle MIME digests just
perfectly, like Pegasus, and I do not mean only reading/expanding them, but
also providing interactivity options (like Reply, group reply, forwarding,
etc). Eventually the world will catch up with MIME digests; it's unfortunate
that antique software systems still support RFC1153 digests only.

tasos