Subject: Re: MIME digest formats
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 15 Jul 1997 11:16:18 -0500
To: Brock Rozen <brozen @ webdreams . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 webdreams .
 com> writes:

BR> Jason, I thought we weren't going to break standards?

Sigh; this is proving to be harder than it should be.

I never intended to break any standards; RFC2046 says that text/plain parts
in a multipart/digest are forbidden, and gives a nested layout as an
example of one way to insert index matter without violating the rules.

Another way to do this is to make the index page a message/rfc822 by adding
headers (presumably that make it seem as if the index was a message from
the list owner).  This does not violate RFC2046, as no text/plain part is
being included.

The question, then, is which is preferable.  Listproc uses the method
outlined in 2046 (which has prompted now two messages from Listproc list
owners telling me that it causes more headache than it's worth).  Listserv
uses something like the method I propose, chosen in order to avoid
complaints and to make the index and footer matter on par with the rest of
the messages in the digest.  (Though I can't pretend to speak for the Lsoft
folks on this.)

I am inclined to use the method I propose, because it is simpler (no
nesting) and because, so far, nobody's told me they dislike it, whereas a
couple of people have told me they dislike the method outlined in 2046.
Hardly a statistically significant sample, I know, but I came here hoping
to enlarge that sample and really didn't accomplish my goal.  Oh, well...
--
  Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs @
 uh .