Subject: Re: MS Exchange appends html. How do I stop it?
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian @ hyperreal . org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:36:53 -0700
To: Malcolm Jackson <cczmjj @ unix . ccc . nottingham . ac . uk>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 10:45 AM 7/15/97 +0100, Malcolm Jackson wrote:
>   There are 2 subscribers whos mailers append a html version of their mail
>to the end of their message. It looks like their Microsoft Exchange server
>thing is the culprit, but the subscribers dont seem to be able to prevent
the
>message being doctored in this way.
>
>  Do we stop the MS Exchange Server appending the html or what? My digests
>are big enough as it is without all this crap added to them as well.

Since this is a list for mailing list owners who use various types of
software, I'll suggest a non-list-software-specific possibility which I
implemented.  I have a "filter" perl script which I inserted into the
mailing list delivery stream *before* handing it off to majordomo (in my
case, YMMV).  This "filter" program performs a number of checks and
transformations:

1) removes ads from hotmail and rocketmail posts
2) checks to see if the person posting hasn't exceeded a configurable per-list
   limit

Majordomo has its own "taboo" words check, but that could be put here too.

Basically anything you can describe as a perl regex can be done; to figure
out how to excise the MS Exchange HTML stuff, for example, find the
distinctive boundary such a section has and remove it and everything in
between.  Perl is perfect for this.

Once the buffer has passed scrutiny the program either calls the next step
in the delivery process (with majordomo, "resend") or it could bounce back
to the user or list owner if desired.

	Brian

"Why not?" - TL           brian @
 organic .