Subject: MS Exchange appends html. How do I stop it?
From: Todd Day <today @ di . com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 03:05:30 -0700
To: "'List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM'" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

I have written a perl script that remove extra stuff from Exchange.  It
also filters out all that quoted-printable crap from Eudora.  It
requires the majordomo suite of tools, but only for header parsing.  It
could be very easily hacked to fit into your particular mailing list
situation.

It also does all of the following things.  Your tastes may vary on these
items.

Removes all that MIME crap, leaving only the message text.
Rejects any message that consists of only an attachment and no text.
Especially attacks the ms-tnef and the text/html attachments added by
Exchange.
Changes all those yucky quoted-printable '=' equals escaped thingies
back into normal characters.
Removes repeated punctuation marks.
Fixes lower case 'i' from those kewl doods on your list.
Changes common swear words into something more innocuous.
Converts tabs to spaces.
Kills spaces when they are the only content on a line.
Kills spaces at end of line.
Removes a constant offset space (indentation on every line) from the
left side.
Condenses multiple vertical space.
Removes line feeds from end.
Wraps text at 80 columns.
Rejects messages with less than 20 chars of text.

If you'd like to take a peek, you can find it at
ftp://ftp.di.com/outgoing-unprot/anal.filter

It isn't all that clean, but it works pretty well and has made my life
as a digest moderator a lot easier.  BTW, if any of you know of a nice
simple one-line regular expression that will turn "=XX", where XX equals
a hex number, into a character, I'd appreciate and e-mail about it.

To install it on majordomo, you would need to take the following lines
in your aliases file

listname:           "|/domo/wrapper digest.filter listname
listname-filtered"
listname-filtered:  "|/domo/wrapper digest -r -c
/domo/digests/listname.cf"

and modify them like this

listname:           "|/domo/wrapper anal.filter listname listname-anal"
listname-anal:      "|/domo/wrapper digest.filter listname
listname-filtered"
listname-filtered:  "|/domo/wrapper digest -r -c
/domo/digests/listname.cf"

Have fun.
-todd-

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: MS Exchange appends html. How do I stop it?