Subject: Re: List Being Used to Create Spam List
From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 01:56:55 +0200
To: list-managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>, Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>

On   Sat,    12   Jul    1997   16:26:57    -0700   Chuq    Von   Rospach
<chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> said:

>I'll disagree. It's my resource. I  spent the money and energy to create
>the list  of subscribers (or the  service that creates it).  Therefore I
>think intellectual  property is  a perfectly valid  argument --  it's my
>sweat equity and pocketbook, so I sure better have a say in its use.

That's  one of  the  reasons why  copyright  law recognizes  "compilation
copyrights", where you don't own any  of the individual components but do
own the collection.

>Why not? It's my service that generated  the list. If I create a service
>that attracts users to it, I should  be able to reap the benefit of that
>service, or  choose who  does by  licensing those  benefits out.  That I
>choose *not*  to reap those  benefits doesn't  mean they don't  exist or
>that users can take them without my permission.

We were recently approached by a company  who offered to pay us $0.01 per
message for the  inclusion of ad banners on our  mailing list service. My
understanding (I did not talk to them myself) is that they were, er, very
new to the  Internet market :-), but the principle  remains, these people
made a  bid and put a  price of $0.01 on  something that we could  do but
have chosen not  to do. That would  have been $40-50k/day and  a lot more
than our costs  for delivering these messages, nevermind  that we already
collect money to cover these costs and  that the $0.01 would have come on
top of that.  What they would have  bought was the list  of addresses and
the right to use it, rather than a mail delivery service.

  Eric

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Questions about mailing lists