Subject: List software Recommendations for NT
From: "Amy Stinson" <amys @ pop . iquest . net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 21:59:23 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <amys @ pop . iquest . net>

Hi,

I'm trying to run some mail lists from my NT 4.0 machine and recently
installed SLMAIL (because it was easy).  Test list mail went through
nicely, so I invited everyone to move over to the new lists and the
nightmare started.  Managing my server became a full time job as one
bad address could single handedly fill my disk with "message rejected
by system" mail that looped continuously AND it couldn't deliver mail
to AOL, Compuserve, Juno, Prodigy...get the picture?  I have over
45000 retries in my out queue.

Obviously, this software is not going to do the job.  I'm not ready
to tackle UNIX (in any flavor) yet, so I was wondering if anyone had
tried some of the other list software for NT and what they thought
about it.  I run lists for hobbyists and at least one list exceeds
1000 members, which disqualifies me for LSOFT's free or "lite" list
software.

Currently, I've set David Harris' Mercury 32 up and it's doing okay
although since I'm primarily running lists, I'd like to be able to
put a blurb in the subject and pretty up the digests a tad (as they
are completely multipart-boundary with no subject list or other
"nicies").

My main qualification is that it's GOT to handle the addresses
correctly that you can't do a "host" on, like AOL, compuserve, juno,
and Prodigy.

Remote admin is a must

an easy way to track down list members to unsubscribe them (a merc
weakness)

Price is important.  I'm not opposed to paying $500 for software, but
I'm not running a commercial site and I'm primarily footing the
bills.

Thanks for any input.

Amy