Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

Subject: Re: New List
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 19:31:54 -0500 (EST)
To: KHC <archken @ pacbell . net>
Cc: List Mgrs <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, KHC wrote:

> I am trying to establish a new mailing list.  My service provider,
> PacBell, does not offer this service.
>
> Does anybody know where I can start one?

This is an outline of procedures for starting a new list from
scratch...  Some day I hope to flesh this out a bit.  Suggestions
for additions to this beginners guide are welcome.

First, you need to decide what sort of list you expect to run:

  Announcement or discussion?
  Moderated or not?
  Private or public?
  Access restrictions?
  How many subscribers do you anticipate?
  Have you written a charter and policy?

If you know nothing about the various mailing list software packages,
start with these links:

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.answers/mail/archive-servers/faq
ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.answers/mail/list-admin/software-faq
http://library.ummed.edu/~naleks/mlmfaq/mlmfaq_toc.html

Each software package has a support mailing list which deals with
setup issues for that particular software.
List-Managers @
 GreatCircle .
 COM is NOT a software support mailing list.

For many people, the best option is to use someone else's server which
is already setup and is always online.  A gent named Brian Edmonds
maintains a list of mailing list service providers.  Some of these
providers do not charge.  Some charge very modest fees.

  - http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/edmonds/usenet/ml-providers.txt
  - send email to majordomo @
 edmonds .
 home .
 cs .
 ubc .
 ca with the following
    line in the body of the message: get faq ml-providers.txt

If you provide mailing list host services and would like to be listed,
contact Brian Edmonds <edmonds @
 cs .
 ubc .
 ca>.