Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

From: "Woodrick, Ed" <ewoodrick @ ed-com . com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:28:45 -0500
To: "'List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM'" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Title: RE: HTML-enabled mailing lists

Why do yall go through so much trouble to not utilize existing Internet messaging standards? The overhead of an HTML message is pretty small. I wouldn't be surprised if it was near the overhead of a UUENCODE!

It's just so disconcerting to me that some of the folks who are long time residents of the Internet, a mechanism that many call so radically state-of-the-art, that you would have such an archaic attitude. Don't you feel like a dinosaur in Disneyland? Going around growling and everyone else ignoring you?

HTML is here to stay. If you want to provide a service to you list users, then you probably should start thinking about how to work WITH your subscribers than against them.

Granted, not everyone has a mail reader that will read HTML, but at what percentage do you make HTML a standard? And for those of you who are stuck on UNIX using readers that only stand regular text messages, don't gripe and complain that the rest of us decided to move on and leave you in the 60's. Plain text messaging is on the way out. Corporate messaging systems have been rich text for many years.

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

Ed Woodrick
EDCOM