Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

From: "Michael C. Berch" <mcb @ postmodern . com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 14:03:06 -0700
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>
Cc: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>

Michelle Dick wrote:
> I also don't allow HTML messages on my list.  And to expand on the
> undreadable issue, I have had blind list subscribers write to me to
> thank me for the fact that my mailing list and web site are simple
> plain text based.
>
> Keeping lists accessable to blind readers is yet another reason for
> not complicating simple text discussion with overhead for uneeded
> color and fonts.  Color and fonts do not improve discussion.

This seems to me to be a case of the tail wagging the dog; perhaps
appropriate for a list designed specially for blind readers, but otherwise I
would stick to the axiom, "optimize for the general case".

Besides, the screen readers for blind users (for Windows and X) that I know of
are easily configurable to ignore (or otherwise deal with) rich-text markup.
(Otherwise how do you think they would cope with Web pages?)

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb @