Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-mlists @ idyllmtn . com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 20:34:56 -0700
To: mcb @ postmodern . com
Cc: list-managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 10:04 p.m. 04/06/98 -0700, Michael C. Berch wrote:
>I'm certainly as entitled as anyone here to be a grumpy old man and UNIX
>bigot, having sent my first UNIX e-mail message in 1975, and posted my first
>Internet (ARPANET) mailing list message circa 1979, but the fact is that
>standards evolve, markets evolve, and there are good reasons not to remain
>tied to the lowest common denominator of the past.

How about the lowest common denominator of the present?

HTML-mail capability is not NEARLY as widespread as you imply.
Until two months ago, I was stuck using Microsoft mail at my
University job.  I whined and bitched until I got moved to
the academic mail server rather than the administrative mail
server, so now I use Netscape Communicator -- but everyone else
in CGU administration is stuck with a really crappy version
of Microsoft's "Windows Messaging".

They're still within that LCD who can't read HTML formatted
email, you see.  (Want them to upgrade?  Sure, send your
tax-deductable donation to Claremont Graduate University,
and we'll be glad to.)

|  \/  | |   (_)___| |_ ___     for the Internet Community
| |\/| | |   | / __| __/ __|      http://www.mlists.com/
| |  | | |___| \__ \ |_\__ \  (Free list hosting available!)
 mlists .