Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

From: Jason Rasku <jrasku @ ArmispianSystems . Rossland . bc . ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:24:34 -0700 (PDT)
To: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Cc: List Managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Mike Nolan wrote:

> > The existence of disparate formats like Word, WordPerfect, etc., is one
> > of the motivating factors for formats like HTML and PDF.
>
> As far as I know, PDF is a proprietary format and requires proprietary
> software, unless you have the Adobe engine you cannot create a PDF file.

	I could be wrong, but my understanding is that PDF is a
``standard''.  Curently to my knowledge there is no ``distiller'' other
than the Adobe one.  PDF is very similar to PostScript (PS), in that both
(if I am not mistaken) were created as an open standard by Adobe.
	You are mostly right, at this point you are pretty much limited to
Adobe products to handle PDF files.

> HTML at least has the virtue of having multiple vendors supporting both
> the generation and rendering of it.  (It has numerous flaws, but I don't
> know that they are relevant to this entire thread.)

	I guess that HTML is easier to produce than PDF, but it need not
be in a format that breaks other tools.  You can use the tags where they
are necisary, without garbling the entire message with tags that are not
of any benifit to the document.

							Jason Rasku

--
Jason Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701,
LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.

Web pages of Interest:
Madness: <http://www.madnation.org/> <http://www.efn.org/~dendron>
Fibre: <http://kootweb.com/trillium/trrasku/trrasku.html>
Spirituality:

ICQ 6375239

Florence Flask was ... dressing for the opera when she turned to her
husband and screamed, "Erlenmeyer!  My joules!  Someone has stolen my
joules!"

"Now, now, my dear," replied her husband, "keep your balance and reflux
a moment.  Perhaps they're mislead."

"No, I know they're stolen," cried Florence.  "I remember putting them
in my burette ... We must call a copper."

Erlenmeyer did so, and the flatfoot who turned up, one Sherlock Ohms,
said the outrage looked like the work of an arch-criminal by the name
of Lawrence Ium.

"We must be careful -- he's a free radical, ultraviolet, and
dangerous.  His girlfriend is a chlorine at the Palladium.  Maybe I can
catch him there."  With that, he jumped on his carbon cycle in an
activated state and sped off along the reaction pathway ...
		-- Daniel B. Murphy, "Precipitations"