Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

From: Aydin Edguer <edguer @ MorningStar . Com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:15:49 -0400 (EDT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I feel this discussion is moving off the topic of the mailing list.
But...

> As far as I know, PDF is a proprietary format and requires proprietary
> software, unless you have the Adobe engine you cannot create a PDF file.

PDF was created by a commercial firm (Adobe), rather than through a
standards body (such as the ITU or ITF), but the "format" or language
specifications have been published, so I am not sure that "proprietary"
is the proper term to use.

Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.0 is available for a range of platforms, including
Linux.  It is not universally available (example: it is not available
for Solaris x86).

If your operating system is not one of the platforms, then you might
consider picking up a copy of "xpdf", which is a free X Window System
based PDF viewer (there is also an Amiga port of xpdf).

    http://www.aimnet.com/~derekn/xpdf/

You might also consider picking up a recent version of Ghostscript, a free
PostScript viewer that is now also able to generate and display PDF files.
Version 5.0 and later of Ghostscript includes support for PDF 1.2, which is
the PDF version used by Acrobat 3.0.  In combination with Ghostview, this
produces a very nice PDF viewer

    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

Ghostscript 5.0 and later are also able to take a PostScript file and
generate a PDF file.  This means that there are non-Adobe engines which
can do the work.

Follow-Ups:
  • Bounce Handler