Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

Subject: Bounce Handler
From: Takashi Tokunaga <taka-tok @ digital-magic . co . jp>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 20:22:57 +0900
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Hello all list managers,

I'd like to ask for help handling bounced mails with various MTA.

I'm maintain mail server (Qmail 1.01 + FreeBSD 2.2.5) which sends about
10,000 mail messages per day upon request.  (Not spam, only by request : )

Of 10,000 messages sent, I usually get 2-3% of error mails due to various
reasons.  ie. host down, user no longer exist, wrong email addresses....

The problem I'm having now is how to handle those bounced mails.

As for qmail, it returns error mails to the sender's Mailbox with messages
like:

"This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out. blah
blah "

So I've created the simple perl script to extract error email addresses and
automatically remove the error addresses from the sender list.

Problem I'm having now is since different MTA returns different error
messages, I can't do the same for outside errors. (ie, user's mail address
has changed... mailbox is full....).

Are there any tools/ways to handle bounced mails less painlessly?

Any pointer/suggestion is very much welcomed.

Thanx in advance,