Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

Subject: Re: Off topic
From: "Michael C. Berch" <mcb @ postmodern . com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:01:31 -0700
To: Jack Teems <jteems @ rapidnet . com>
Cc: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

> Excuse the off topic, but can someone provide the correct address to
> retrieve the intro letter from this list?

The best way is to send the message

info list-managers

in the body (not subject) of a message to majordomo @
 greatcircle .
 com .

However, since it hasn't been reposted in a while, and really should
be, now and then,  here it is.

--
Michael C. Berch
List-Managers list manager

Description
dedicated to that particular package).

Technical questions regarding particular software packages (for
instance, Majordomo, LISTPROC, ListServ, etc.) are NOT appropriate
for the List-Managers mailing list.  They should be directed to the
mailing list dedicated to that particular package (for instance,
for Majordomo, that's Majordomo-Users @
 GreatCircle .
 COM).  Check the
documentation that came with the package to find out where the support
list for that package is hosted.

This list is an outgrowth of the "Mailing Lists" workshop session
at the USENIX System Administration Conference (LISA VI) in Long
Beach, CA, on October 22, 1992.

This is the undigestified version of the list.  All messages sent to this
list are immediately forwarded to members of the list.  The digestified
version of the list is List-Managers-Digest @
 GreatCircle .
 COM .

Policies
========
You can subscribe a local redistribution list or a gateway to a local
newsgroup, as long as whatever you do is local to your site.  This
restriction makes it much easier for me to track down mailer problems.

I'm very aggressive when it comes to bounced email.  If email to you
starts bouncing, I'll probably drop you from the list fairly quickly;
you'll have to resubscribe when you get the problem fixed, and retrieve
the archives to find out what you missed.

Archives
========
All messages to the list are archived.  The archives are available via
the web, via anonymous FTP, or via Majordomo:

Via the web: Visit <http://www.greatcircle.com/list-managers/archive.html>

Via anonymous FTP: host FTP.GreatCircle.COM,
    directory "pub/list-managers/archive",
    or via <ftp://ftp.greatcircle.com/pub/list-managers/archive/>

Via Majordomo: via the "index list-managers" and
    "get list-managers list-managers.YYMM" commands (send "help" in the
    body of a message to "Majordomo @
 GreatCircle .
 COM" for more info)

The archives are broken down by year and month, and are stored in files
named "list-managers.YYMM" or compressed files named "list-managers.YYMM.Z",
where "YY" is the year and "MM" is the month.  The copies of the archive
available via the web and anonymous FTP is updated every night at 2am local
time (0900 GMT in the summer, 1000 GMT in the winter).

For further information, contact:

Michael C. Berch
Postmaster and list manager, Great Circle Associates
mcb @
 greatcircle .