Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:20:13 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com (List Managers)

> >From now on, whenever I get forged subscribed onto a non-confirming list,
> I've decided to use the opportunity (since I'm already subscribed) to make
> a VERY blunt posting to this list in question, using as many four letter
> words as I can possibly fit into a few paragraphs, and making the point
> (repeatedly) that the reason the list subscribers have found themselves
> being subjected to _my_ explitives is because they have a moron managing
> their list.
>
> I've tried this once already and believe me when I say that if the goal
> is to get yourself unsubscribed in a hurry, this really does the trick.
> (Well, anyway it worked like a charm when I did it on one ``History of
> Religion'' list I had been forged subscribed too.)

Ron, I'm sure that's very efficient, and I hope you take similar steps
to deal with undesirable behavior in the rest of your life, like using
a squirt gun on smokers, taking candy out of the hands of babies, calling
the store manager if someone is in the express lane at the supermarket with
more than 12 items, etc.

What is it about the online community that causes people who are presumably
intelligent and at least somewhat civilized to behave like total louts,
just because they've been inconvenienced by some other puerile jerk?

If that post didn't convince the list subscribers that a moron was running
the list, it may well have convinced them that a moron had gotten subscribed
to it.

I think we should all do Ron a favor and put his address on the reject list
for our lists, just so he isn't inconvenienced further.  I assure you it
is going on mine.
--
Mike Nolan