Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

Subject: Re: Bounce Handler (fwd)
From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:06:01 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com (List Managers)

> If you are using qmail, why are you not using ezmlm+idx which will handle all
> the bounces for you?

Maybe there are other features of the current list management package that
are more attractive, or the time and effort necessary to convert from one
list package to another is excessive.

> I switched from SmartList to Qmail+Ezmlm/IDX and was able to forget for the
> 1200+ mailing list recipients that bounces even happen!

I hope for the sake of your 1200+ subscribers that the bounces are all for
the right reasons, then.  IMHO there are 'good' bounces, and 'bad' bounces,
and some intelligence or thought as to what to do with them is A Good Thing,
and if this takes some list manager time periodically, it's still just one
item on the list of things that list managers do behind the scenes.

I'm looking to switch all of my lists over to a new environment later this
year, new hardware, a better net connection, more features, etc.  Despite
the 'holier than thou' attitude of too many qmail disciples, I'm still
considering it as one component to the overall package I want to create.
And I thoroughly expect to spend nearly a month making the change between
setting up and testing the new site and the actual conversion.
--
Mike Nolan

Indexed By Date Previous: Domain Name Administrator, What protection if any?