Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

From: arielle @ taronga . com (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 06:32:46 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Jenifer @
 DivineWebDesign .
 com:

> You have to look at it from my point of view, I am a 23 y.o. mother of 3,
> trying to learn something from you educated, more experienced "List
> Masters" because having 3 children ages 4 and under does not allow me a
> lot of time to go to college, etc.  And I feel like I've walked into the
> middle of a "Well Educated" Soap Opera.  Who needs Daytime TV, just join
> a listserv!

A bit of terminology:

list-managers is a Mailing List, not a "listserv".
The server list-manager runs on is majordomo, not LISTSERV.
LISTSERV is a completely different list management package.

But to address your message.

Been there, done that.  Seen posts like yours.  Many times.  I've been
on the net a long time.  Fourteen years, now.

I'm familiar with many of the users on this list, some by reputation
only.  They disagree because they tend to be very opinionated, and are
not afraid of expressing it (and this open forum allows them to).  I
find their arguments to be often entertaining, and usually informative.
But one thing I do know - the people here are extremely knowledgable
about mailing lists, which is why I've stayed s*bscr*bed to list-managers
for the past 5 years or so.

If you have a problem with the list, I think you should take it up
with the list owner.  It is not your prerogative to wag your finger
at the participants here.  I find such attempts to manipulate the
conversation distasteful.

However, there are several other mailing lists for the discussion of
list management.  If this one is too rough for you, I'm sure there are
others more to your liking.  You might try list-moms, I hear that one
is more geared towards newbies.

> I suppose I'll get flamed for this, but at least I finally said what was
> on my mind!

This is not a flame.  Don't take it as such.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: NEW: List-digest - for list owners