Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

From: claire @ siberia . demon . co . uk (Claire McNab)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:37:04 +0100 (BST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On 28 Apr 98 at 11:02, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> >What is it about the online community that causes people who are presumably
> >intelligent and at least somewhat civilized to behave like total louts,
>
> I often wonder that exact thing.  I especially wonder about it
> each time some lout of a list admin allows me to be
> forge-subscribed to a non- confirming mailing list he/she is
> running.

Hmm.  The problem with your strategy is that in response to an
offence committed by some unknown miscreant, made possible by the
carelessness/laziness/ignorance of a list admin, you swear at all the
subscribers to that list.   It's like bombing a town flat because a
cop let a hoodlum escape and go to your place to rob you.

It's targetting the wromg people, and ir doesn't help.  If you want a
target for your anger, and you can't find the culprit, go for the
list admin.  But leave off the other subscribers, who are innocent
bystanders.

Best wishes,
Claire

--