Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:09:54 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

If you were to pull your "raise hell" show on one of my lists, I
might muzzle you and LOCK IN your subscription.  With a little luck,
you may stumble across a list admin who has a clue and the right
software.  Your stunt could easily back-fire.

> You don't seem to understand.  And lits admin who is running a
> mailing list that blindly accepts forged subscriptions _is_ `the
> culprit'.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, they are every bit as guilty as the
> net-hooligans who create the forged subscriptions.
>
> It takes _both_ a net-hooligan _and_ an incompentent/careless list
> admin to create one of these forged subscriptions.  Remove either
> one from the equation and these things no longer happen.

Though I might disagree with the wording, most of what you said is
substantially correct.  There really is not much excuse for running an
open subscription, *public*, mailing list.  Admins who do have open
automatic subscriptions without confirmation are contributing to the
problem.  Personally, I will go out of my way to prevent my resources
from being used to abuse someone else.

- murr -