Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1998)

From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:12:50 -0600
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 06:26:41PM -0400, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

> The problem is that many of these newbie list managers don't recognize
> their own incompetence and stubbornly insist on inflicting it on themselves,
> their subscribers, and (and here is the key) *the rest of us*.

I think a big percentage of the responsibility for this lies in the laps of
the mailing list *site* admins who a) set up lists with a default configuration
that is broken from Day One and who b) don't bother making people read the
list software documentation before actually handing over the reins.  The
"clueless newbies" who don't know how to change their list configurations to
prevent open subscriptions are unlikely to be changing their list
configurations to inadvertently allow them if they're given a default config
that requires subscription verification.

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo @
 swcp .