From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 01:02:53 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <Pine .
 GSO .
 3 .
 96 .
 980430204827 .
 3919A-100000 @
 katie .
 vnet .
 net>,
murr rhame <murr @
 vnet .
 net> wrote:

>Speaking of general security issues, if your list is well known and
>unmoderated, see if non-subscribers can post.  A Spamford need not
>gather your subscriber addresses if all they have to do is make a post
>to your list to distribute their spam.  Unless you have a special
>reason to differ, unmoderated mailing lists should only accept posts
>from list subscribers.

Yes.  definitely.

P.S.  Actually, Spamford Wallace never got into spamming mailing lists
directly.  There was however one real hardcore thief/jerk named ``Krazy
Kevin'' who used to exclusively spam mailing lists and nothing else.
He was always selling discount magazine subscriptions.  Authorities in
New York State finally caught up to him and successfully prosecuted him
for fraud and I think he even ended up doing some jail time.  It seems
that people who sent him money for magazine subscriptions often only
received one or two issues of their requested magazines and then the
subscriptions mysteriously stopped coming.

Another good argument for never buying _anything_ from a spammer.

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/

Indexed By Date Previous: