Subject: Interesting piece of mail this morning (forwarded)
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 06:33:47 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Y'know, it's amazing what people will resort to in order to avoid reasoned
argument when their preconceived notions are threatened.  I suppose this
insulting and ostrich-like response is Jason's way of answering the issues
that Ron (and now I, and others) have raised.

I shouldn't be surprised: on various mailing lists, I'm starting to
see more and more of this from newbies, who simply can't handle the
reality that the Internet is a complex place, and effectively offering
services -- whether they be mailing lists, web sites, or anything else --
is NOT as easy as they hypsters would like us all to believe.  It *does*
require a large body of technical knowledge, and those who think there's
an easy way around that are not only doomed to failure, they are also
highly likely to inflict collateral damage on the very community they
are trying to serve, as well as the rest of us.

(Maybe someday it'll be simpler.  Now is emphatically not that someday.)

It was one thing to plead ignorance 15 years ago, when you could fit all
the books on Unix and the Arpanet in your briefcase and have room left
over for lunch.  But to do so today is fatuous: there are not only books,
but web sites and FAQs and how-to guides and such an incredible wealth
of information that only those who deliberately avoid educating themselves
can manage not to learn something.

And refusing to listen to people with nearly two decades of online
experience -- just because what they're saying makes you uncomfortable --
is a pretty good way to do that.

---Rsk

----- Forwarded message from Jason Rasku <jrasku @
 ArmispianSystems .
 Rossland .
 bc .
 ca> -----

> From: Jason Rasku <jrasku @
 ArmispianSystems .
 Rossland .
 bc .
 ca>
> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 20:13:46 -0700 (PDT)
> To: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @
 gsp .
 org>
> Subject: Re: Prevalence of mailing-list bombing
>
> plonk...
>
> --
> Jason Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701,
> LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.

[Excessive signature trimmed]