Subject: FYI - List security and that new O'Reilly book
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 10:36:54 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I was just browsing the online index for that new O'Reilly book about
mailing list administration, and I see that the author has several single-
page references on `security' listed in the index, broken down by specific
type of list admin package (e.g. Listproc, LISTSERV, Majordomo, Smartlist).

The author also seems to have a four page section on ``abuse of mailing
lists''.

Having not seen the book itself, I can only assume that he covers the most
important three topics in this area, i.e.:

    o  risks of allowing non-subscribers to post

    o  risks of allowing the subscriber address list to be harvested

    o  risks of accepting new subscriptions without confirmation

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Prevalence of mailing-list bombing