Subject: List statistics, time & motions etc
From: Darren Wyn Rees <merlin @ netlink . co . uk>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 08:49:25 GMT
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Before re-inventing the wheel, or going down a more inefficient path
than needs be, I'm led to -probe- this question here ...  How on earth
do *you* experienced list gurus go about collecting/preparing
/collating your list statistics for general 'management' decisions?
Perhaps that assumes that you all collect such figures, I don't know,
I honestly haven't had to think about this beyond today...

Where I find myself picking up a calculator and doing a few simple
sums on a Wordprocessor.  And realising, I'd really really love to aim
for more in-depth statistics... how many unique posts, how much mail
has zipped/trundled thru this system, how many subscribers, how many
lurkers, movement on last month (hey, it's the 2nd of May today :),
queries answered and, perhaps, statistical analysis of how people
join/leave, time devoted to answering queries... I'm sure you get the
picture : I want some sort of 'list management balance sheet'.

Do I really need these figures?  Well, yes, as I think it's opened my
eyes to some 'odd' things :  I'm looking at figures that say that one
list has three times as much posting activity compared to a list with
twice as many subscribers ... and I'm working out 'why is that'.  That
said, I'd still much like *your* opinion on the matter.

Any of your feedback, comments on this quite general question of
list-management, is most gratefully appreciated.  (I'm off to dig up
my old account books out as I'm sure they'll help give me some broad
tips on this type of resource 'allocation' activity).

I've CCed this message to majordomo-users, (although I use Mj, yes I'm
aware this is not a majordomo-specific question).

Sincerely,
--
Darren Wyn Rees        Email merlin @
 merlin .

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL Problems