Subject: Listowner Skills [Was: list bombing]
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 08:06:54 -0400 (EDT)
To: gabe @ mystery . com
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Gabe Helou wrote:

> If you're going to flip hamburgers, you should be a competent
> hamburger flipper.  If you're going to run a mailing list, you
> should be a competent list admin.

Now we are getting close a pertinent topic.  Would you or anyone else
care to define the skills needed to become a "competent list admin"?
I'll try a brief outline:

Technical skills:

   Use and understand the listowner commands for the server software
   used by the list such as:
      Subscribe
      Unsubscribe
      Change subscription modes
         Non-post
         Digest
         Banish
         Etc.
      Approve moderated posts if applicable
      Archive commands (search and retrieve)
      Special feature server commands as apply to software used

   Read and understand most bounces.  (some server software and or
   add-on software largely supersedes this skill requirement)

   Enter alternative subscriber addresses as may be required.

Diplomatic and personnel management skills:

   General understanding of netiquette.

   Define list charter.

   Define list subscriber entrance requirements if applicable.

   Define list posting guidelines.

   Enforce posting guidelines with minimal impact on discussion.

   Recruit, train and organize co-admins if applicable.

That's a start.  Best I can do on short notice early Sunday morning.
Dissect my proposals will.  There are two broad types of skills needed
to become a good list admin: technical skills and diplomatic skills.
IMHO, it is easier to train a technically ignorant list manager than
it is to train someone who has poor social skills in the diplomatic
arts.

- murr -