Subject: Re: Listowner Skills [Was: list bombing]
From: Norbert Bollow <nb @ thinkcoach . com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:47:20 +0200
To: List-Managers @ greatcircle . com
Prefer-language: de, en, fr

Murr Rhame <murr @
 vnet .
 net> wrote:

> Now we are getting close a pertinent topic.  Would you or anyone else
> care to define the skills needed to become a "competent list admin"?
> I'll try a brief outline:

This is an excellent summary - these are skills that a "competent list
admin" must have. Depending on the nature of the list some other skills
may be needed (e.g. if you run a list for churchplanters you'll should
be able to recognize false apostles for what they are.)

Those who have been arguing that there is a need for more in-depth
technical knowledge on the part of the list-admin are missing that
such technical knowledge can be provided by a site admin, a consultant
or some other knowledgeable person who is willing to help out whenever
the need arises.

The one point I'd like to see added is this:

  Know it when outside technical advice is needed and be determined enough
  to get it.

-- NB.

> Technical skills:
>
>    Use and understand the listowner commands for the server software
>    used by the list such as:
>       Subscribe
>       Unsubscribe
>       Change subscription modes
>          Non-post
>          Digest
>          Banish
>          Etc.
>       Approve moderated posts if applicable
>       Archive commands (search and retrieve)
>       Special feature server commands as apply to software used
>
>    Read and understand most bounces.  (some server software and or
>    add-on software largely supersedes this skill requirement)
>
>    Enter alternative subscriber addresses as may be required.
>

> Diplomatic and personnel management skills:
>
>    General understanding of netiquette.
>
>    Define list charter.
>
>    Define list subscriber entrance requirements if applicable.
>
>    Define list posting guidelines.

Add a comment here that there are legal aspects (e.g. related to copyright)
of what posts will be acceptable, as well as social ones.

--
Norbert Bollow, Zuerich, Switzerland     Backup E-mail address: NB @
 POBOX .