From: Norbert Bollow <nb @ thinkcoach . com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 18:16:20 +0200
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Prefer-language: de, en, fr

Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg @
 monkeys .
 com> wrote:

> I will accept without proof that there are indeed many mailing lists on
> the net that large groups of people find to be very useful and valuable
> resources _and_ which are badly administered by people who don't know
> what they are doing.

Good, so I don't need to provide those three examples.

> In such cases, the ``value'' of the list is highly dependent upon who you
> ask.  The subscribers may steadfastly assert that the thing is very valuable,
> whereas if you ask me, _I_ may say that (overall) the thing is mostly just
> a net-menace

Ok, as far as this we're in agreement.

> which ought to be quietly done away with.

It is here that we disagree. So the same thing is very valuable for some
people but a menace to others. And the good news is that the "menace"
part of the thing _can_ be fixed without telling any list-owner to close
down their lists.

I hereby offer to any list-owner to provide for a flat fee of US-$200 all
the technical knowledge and advice which is needed for properly securing
a mailing list so that it is no longer a net-menace (in respect to
subscription-bombing as well as in respect to the various methods employed
by spammers to obtain e-mail addresses from subscription lists and mailing
list archives.)

By the way, I really think that this service will be available cheaper
elsewhere; e.g. there are many great people on the net who give this kind
of advice for free, but since I have a very heavy workload I can make this
kind of offer only if I write something on the "price tag".

NB.

--
Norbert Bollow, Zuerich, Switzerland     Backup E-mail address: NB @
 POBOX .