Subject: Re: List statistics, time & motions etc
From: psittler @ behemoth . tamu . edu
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 07:45:14 -0500 (CDT)
To: Darren Wyn Rees <merlin @ netlink . co . uk>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Darren Wyn Rees wrote:

> Do I really need these figures?  Well, yes, as I think it's
> opened my eyes to some 'odd' things :  I'm looking at figures
> that say that one list has three times as much posting activity
> compared to a list with twice as many subscribers ... and I'm
> working out 'why is that'.  That said, I'd still much like
> *your* opinion on the matter.

So be it.  This will sound like an oversimplification, but. . .

People are different.
People behave differently.

Lists are different.
People on lists behave differently.

Some lists are seasonal.
Some lists die.  All people do.

> Sincerely,
> --
> Darren Wyn Rees        Email merlin @
 merlin .
 netlink .
 co .
 uk

And now, for a little bit of the wisdom of the ages. . .

    "We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were
     beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganized.
     I was to learn later in life, that we tend to meet any new
     situation by reorganizing, and what a wonderful method it
     can be for creating the illusion of progress, while only
     producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."

     --- Petronius Gaius (The Arbiter) 60 A.D. ---

-------
Paul M. Sittler (root)    |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The choice
Leviathan System Admin    |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a GNU
email: p-sittler @
 tamu .
Phone: 409 845-9689         A 486 is a terrible thing to waste.
Pager: 409 759-1258         A 386SX is a terrible thing.